Portobello mushrooms make the perfect meat alternative in savory veggie bowls. The marinade is so quick and easy to whip up- perfect for when you don't want to spend a long time cooking! Pan frying the mushroom makes it extra delicious, no oil needed. In this recipe, we use veggie broth instead, which makes for an even juicier result!
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, cleaned with stems removed.
- 1 cup vegetable broth, more if needed
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup oil free tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Optional: serve with steamed broccoli and brown rice
- In a bowl, mix tamari, tomato sauce, and thyme.
- Add portobello mushroom caps to mixture and toss to coat in the marinade
- While mushrooms sit in marinade, add garlic and 1/4 cup vegetable broth to pan and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Then add the mushrooms to the pan, gills facing down. Cover the pan and cook for 8 minutes. Add vegetable broth as needed to keep mushrooms from sticking and make sure to shake the caps around often.
- Flip caps over gills side up and and pour the remaining marinade into the mushroom. Also add some vegetable broth into the mushroom as well as around it in the pan. Cook for an additional 8 minutes covered.
- Remove from pan and serve hot. The strong flavor goes perfectly with plain whole foods such as brown rice or broccoli. No oil or salt needed!